I did not have the best of experience the first time I ate avocado. I did not like it at all. Now I know why; it was a different kind of avocado that I still do not like up to this day. They are very large – green and watery inside, not as creamy.
I think I was not 10 years old yet in Mwanza, Tanzania. A friend of my aunt came to visit us from Moshi. She came with parachichi (avocados). I knew her for a few years, but that was the first time she came from Moshi with (parachichi) avocados. The curious me I could not wait to try. I did not like the taste.
A few years later in Dar-Es-salaam, I saw a different fruit, (at least that is what I thought). I was then told that it was a parachichi (avocado). How could it be? I asked myself, because it looked very different from the parachichi I tried in Mwanza. Since it looked different, I thought it could taste different, so I tried. This was creamy and yellow inside. I thought that particular parachichi was close to butter, exactly what I like. Since then, I loved avocados, but not the large, green, and watery ones; I love the small, dark, buttery and yellow inside.
Then we moved to Nairobi Kenya! The land of avocados, at least that is what I thought because avocados were sold in every grocery store and even the neighborhood kiosk. I made sure I had enough for the first few years, until I could pass them in the store without being excited.
Here is one of the recipes of avocado salad that I love so much. In East Africa, We serve Avocado both as fruit and vegetable.
- 4 medium avocados (cut in big chunks)
- 1 1/2 cup or 1 small, thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup or 1 small, thinly sliced tomato (cut in half, remove seeds, then cut into thin slices)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro/parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- Habanero / hot chilis (optional)
- In a big bowl, mix all ingredients except avocado. Cover and set aside to chill for 30 minutes or more.
- Add avocados only when you are about to serve so that they will not turn brown. Serve immediately.