Chai ya Viungo
This is East African chai. We do love milk. We use lots and lots of milk. When I was a kid, I was never happy when I was given tea without lots of milk. It is part of being a true Tanzanian.
To make gourmet chai (spiced Tea) please use 4 cups of whole milk instead of low fat. Never use powdered ingredients either. Powdered ingredients is for a quick fix, but you do not get the best flavor compare to whole spices. I use whole spices when I make for my special guest.
Always use fresh ginger. Chai does not taste good with powdered ginger at all. You can use all powdered ingredients but please not for ginger.
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp. of whole cloves (about 9 cloves)
- 1 long cinnamon stick (about 4 inches)
- 1 tbsp. whole cardamom pods (opened a bit)
- 1 tbsp. fresh minced ginger
- 4 tbsp. sugar or to taste
- 4 tea bags or 1½ tbsp. loose black tea leaves
- Mix all ingredients except tea and milk in a big pan and boil for 6-12 minutes.
- Add milk and tea. Use medium heat so the milk won’t get scalded.
- Boil while stirring, for 2 minutes
- Serve hot or as iced tea.
2 responses to “Chai (Spiced tea)”
I love spiced tea. Keep up the super work…. More recipes please…
I will try. Asante