Chutneys known as Achali in Swahili add flavor to our food. There are many different types of chutneys in Tanzania, but we only use as condiments. My goal is to take the same recipes, add one or two ingredients and be able to serve almost the same recipe, but differently. Fresh mango chutney is easy to prepare yet it adds a unique flavor to any meal. I have added freshly pickled cucumbers to create a sour taste to this old Tanzania recipe. For authentic Swahili recipe, remove orange juice and cucumber.
- 1.5 lb (700gm) Salmon, fresh and boneless (better if you leave skin on one side)
- 2/3 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
- ½ tsp flesh ground black pepper
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup finely chopped cucumbers (size of a pea)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup of finely chopped ripe mango (must be a very sweet mango)
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ½ – 1 tsp chopped hot peppers (increase or reduce quantity to your taste)
- ¼ – ½ tsp salt
- Vegetable oil
- Clean the salmon then pat dry and cut into four equal pieces. In a long dish, pour 2/3 cups of orange juice and ½ tsp black pepper. Mix well then; add salmon, skin side up, to make the marinade penetrate well in the fish. Refrigerate for 1 – 3 hours.
- In a different small bowl, mix the second group of ingredients (1/2 cup lemon juice, ½ cup chopped cucumber, and 1 tsp salt). Set aside or refrigerate for 1 – 3 hours. You want the cucumbers to be pickled, 2 to 3 hours is better.
Turn oven grill on high, or barbecue stove, or heat oil if you are frying. If you are frying, do not deep-fry; allow the oil to cover only half of the fish.
- Pre heat your oven by selecting grill (on highest settings). Then continue from step number 1 above. Remove the fish from the orange juice, pat with paper towel or a clean white cloth. Spray vegetable oil on a baking sheet (if broiling), and then grill for 15 minutes or more depends on your stove. If you are barbecuing or frying, then skip the spraying part and continue with your chosen way of cooking. Do not over cook, must stay moist inside. Remove and put on a serving dish. Set aside.
- Next continue with step number 2 above. Separate the cucumber from lemon juice. Do not squeeze the cucumber. Just separate and put the cucumber in a large serving bowl.
- Next you are going to use the third group of ingredients.
In cucumber bowl, add mangoes, lemon juice, orange juice and hot peppers. Mix and while mixing, add salt a little bit at a time until you have enough to your taste.
- Serve the fish on individual plates then add sweet and sour mango pickle with its liquids on the fish.
I did post this recipe for the first time in 2016 at this website.