Futari Ya Ndizi Mzuzu
Most Africa countries prefer fried plantain; Tanzanian however we like to cook as a side dish with coconut mil, roast or just boil with water and salt. This is the way we like our plantain. I can eat this everyday.
- 4 large plantains 1⁄2 cup chopped onions 1 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. saffron or turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt 1 cup coconut milk (tui Zito walio East Africa) 2 cups boiling water 3 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- Peel the plantain and put in a large bowl covered with room temperature water.
- Heat the oil on medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, but do not brown them. Add cardamom and saffron or turmeric and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add coconut milk, water, and salt, and stir until it boils. Reduce the heat to medium. Add plantain. Cover and simmer, adding water as needed to maintain the level until the plantains are soft.