This is the one salad most Tanzanian kids know and love. Traditionally, raw cabbage is used for this dish. However, I prefer to first slightly steam the cabbage before using it in the salad. For authentic recipe do not add virgin oil.
NB. You can make a quick mix without measuring; the amount of cut tomatoes and cabbage should be equal while the amount of onions should be about 1/2 or 1/3 of tomatoes.
- 1 lb. (1/2 kg) Tomatoes (Cut tomatoes in about 1/2 a centimeter thin slices)
- 1/4 lb. or 1 cup Cabbage (Cut cabbage in very thin strips of about 4 to 6 centimeters long)
- 1/4 cup Red Onions (Cut red onions in very thin slices)
- Hot peppers
- 1/2 lb. (1/4 kg) Cucumbers (thinly sliced) – Optional
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves /cilantro
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon/lime juice
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. If needed, add more salt, lemon juice, olive oil and coriander to your taste.
I first post this in September 2009 at tasteoftanzania.com